The Ludwig Boltzmann Gesellschaft (LBG) is a research organization with the mission to initiate new research directions in Austria that address societally relevant challenges. The LBG operates 20 institutes in the fields of health research, the humanities and the social sciences. Each Ludwig Boltzmann Institute is a partnership with one or several other organizations in academia, industry, the public sector and civil society. The LBG employs over 550 people.
The LBG is seeking to hire a full-time Pre-doctoral Researcher (30 hours/week) for the newly established research group “Senescence and Healing of Wounds” (SHoW). SHoW aims to investigate the role of senescent cells in skin wounds whose healing progress has been compromised. The research group’s thematic focus is the outcome of an Open Innovation in Science priority setting process conducted by the LBG in collaboration with interested public. The group is located at Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Experimental and Clinical Traumatology in the “Traumazentrum Wien - Standort Lorenz Böhler”, which provides laboratory and office infrastructure. Supported by an Open Innovation in Science approach, the SHoW research group shall work toward clinically relevant outcomes.
The successful candidate will be supervised by Dr. Mikolaj Ogrodnik, principal investigator of SHoW’s biological research program. More information Ogrodnik’s research profile can be
found here: Bibliography Senescence and Healing of Wounds
• Planning and performing of experiments in in vitro and in vivo preclinical models;
• Data analysis;
• Writing a dissertation and publications (open choice of different universities in Vienna);
• Presentation of research results and participation in scientific events;
• A completed master’s degree in a cell biology related field;
• An interest in aging and regenerative medicine, especially wound healing and cellular senescence;
• Basic experience in experimental biology;
• Good oral and written communication skills in English;
• Experience with one or more of the following methods is an advantage: microscopy,
histology, cell biology and physiology of pre-clinical models, bioinformatics;
• Broad intellectual curiosity and good social skills to positively impact a transdisciplinary project.
Terms of employment
This position is an exciting opportunity to advance your career in a dynamic environment. We offer a 3-year contract, including a one-month probation period, starting January 1st, 2021 or
as soon as possible. The offered gross annual salary is EUR 30’878, for 30 hours per week. Five weeks of paid vacation time are included. The successful candidate will be eligible for career
development support from the LBG’s inhouse career service (Career Center). We encourage applications by women.
Applications must be submitted by e-mail to Dr. Raffael Himmelsbach (Raffael [dot] Himmelsbachtrauma [dot] lbg [dot] ac [dot] at) and must include a letter of motivation, as well as an academic CV. Please indicate possible career interruptions due to childcare obligations. In addition, name and contact details of one reference must be submitted. The application deadline is November 16, 2020, 08:00 CET.